This town has gone through a number of names, including Blakemore and Blaikie, names given by railroad officials. The town is at the junction of the CPR and CNR lines across the West. Its current name was given by Mrs. Thomas Halstead, the town’s postmistress, using a name from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s “Haiawatha.”
Nokomis and District Museum
3rd Ave & Queen St
This museum, in the former railway station, includes recreations of a church, dental office, garage (with a 1930 Chevy), hardware store, hospital room, post office, and schoolhouse. Displays include photos, antiques, and vintage clothing. Behind the museum is Junction City, a replica of a small town. Open daily, June 1 to Labour Day, form 10 am to 5 pm. Admission by donation.